It’s the most wonderful time of the year…and I’m not talking about back-to-school! September is National Sewing Month, and I’ve done a tiny bit of rooting around the interwebs for you, my lovelies, to bring you some support and inspiration.
First, check out NSM home base, where they will be posting fun and easy projects all month to help you get into the spirit of things. They are also hosting a pretty swell contest, where the prizes are piles of cash to help you bolster your fabric stash (woot!)
Why make it a one time thing? You can easily celebrate National Sewing Month every single day in September:
- daily giveaways sponsored by Jo-Ann’s Fabrics and Martha Stewart, including several heavy-duty Singer sewing machines…as Martha would say, that’s a very good thing.
- daily free patterns for cute little projects at Fave Crafts Blog. I especially liked September first’s set of adorable lettered beanbags.
And finally, a very short list of sew-alongs that you might like to jump into. Sadly, I couldn’t find any that had to do with making stuff for the men in your life. If you know of one, please post in the comments!
I am seriously contemplating trying to fit in the Lady Grey coat into my already packed sewing schedule! After all, a good coat is a staple for any fall wardrobe.
- The Jump Rope Dress at Sew Mama Sew (for kids)
- The Lady Grey Coat at Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing (for adults)
- Quilt-along at Fat Quarterly
- Shirtdress from Weekend Sewing at Bon Bon Atelier (for adults)
Naturally, you can also come sew with me in person. I’ll be helping out as a sewing coach this Saturday (September 11) at DC Threads Sewing Lounge, and I’ve also started to offer personalized, one-on-one sewing clinics starting this month.
Happy sewing, friends! As always, don’t be shy about sharing pictures of what you make. 🙂