how to wear orange, part 4: with pink

by Valerie

in fashion,how to wear it

For the fourth and final entry into my how to wear orange series, I want to talk about pink.

Pink, especially the fuchsia variety, is just as energetic and playful as orange. Not to get all art-school-color-theory on you, but pink is just a tint of red (red + white), and red and orange are analogous colors, i.e. next door neighbors on the color wheel.

So, no more thinking pink and orange is crazy and unthinkable; it’s the most natural thing in the world!

You could go with pure colorblocking, like the evening look on the far right. Silk shows off bright and saturated color so well, it’s almost a crime to limit your silky evening looks to LBDs.

Or, like the office look in the center and the casual outfit on the left, you could use black and white to break up the brightness. It gives the eye a little rest, while keeping pink and orange the star of the show.

Perhaps you’d rather not feel the burn of two brights together? Try wearing a light, peachy orange with a pale rosy pink. Just as bold and pretty, not as blistering hot.

Check out the first three parts of the series, where I show you how to wear orange with khaki, navy, and gray. What are you going pair orange with?

Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinmail

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Tasha April 29, 2011 at 3:43 am

Love love love pink and orange. Watching the royal wedding coverage they commented on an outfit with the same colour combination

Valerie April 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Tasha, thanks for dropping by! I’ll have to look through all the slideshows and see if I can find it. Hopefully it won’t be too hard b/c it looked like many guests wore navy, black, or gray!

Jessica May 2, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Love pink and orange! My favorite outfit from last summer was a pink dress and an orange shrug. I wore it with yellow heels. Sorbet!

Valerie May 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Jessica – that sounds divine. Yellow and red are also great with orange, and they work for the same reason pink does. I bet you look adorable in that outfit!

lady g October 13, 2014 at 6:56 am

I think that pink and orange look great together. I have Orange suit I weAr with fish is pink mock turtleneck.long maxi pink and orange dress orange swear. I have coral hi low shirt dress that I wear with wide orange waist bell.I also wear black dress or skirt and blouse with Orange belt pink clutch.I found cutest t-strAp Swede Orange pink wedge from payless. Yes payless online $16.99 there shoes come a long way.I also wear ivory dress pants ivory ruffle blouse with pink clutch pink and orange wedge and pink clutch.Also you can wear pale pink and green. No matter what you wear you should feel confident and beautiful.You make clothes not clothes make you.

lady g October 13, 2014 at 7:12 am

Some people are not bold enough or fashion forward to wear bold colors like pink and orange together. I suggest wear form accessories pink clutch Orange belt pink orange shoes pair with all black outfit. Or statement necklace in pink orange color.I have statement necklace from Wal-Mart that was $5.00 summer 2014 .The necklace has five flowers two yellow two orange middle one is fuishia pink middle has diamond. I weAr stud diamond earrings.